Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bartering with Produce

Growing up, my family always had a garden. My mom would generally can tomatoes, tomato juice, green beans and sweet corn. I suppose when I became an adult, it was natural for me to think I needed to do the same, but I had a problem. My mother never taught me how to can.

My husband and I were still dating when I decided to take on this new hobby. Because my parents were separated, it was difficult for me to ask my mom to teach me, so I enlisted the help of my mother-in-law (MIL) and got supplies from my grandma. My MIL always says that a recipe is easy, and most of the time she is right, but I was still skeptical.

My dad and I had planted several tomato plants and when they were ready, I asked my MIL to teach me how to make salsa (which, she pronounces sall-sa, like Sally). I had plenty of jars and lids from our farmhouse and my MIL told me to bring canning salt. When the day I arrived, I was prepared to chop bushels onions, jalapenos, cilantro, etc. for the salsa. We started by blanching the tomatoes whole for just a few seconds and then shocking them in cold water. Then, we removed the skins and placed them in a large kettle. After we were finished, my MIL broke out her secret weapon... a total cheater if you will...
I was completely taken aback and yet relieved that I wouldn't be crying all afternoon from the chopping. But, I really couldn't believe it. I incorrectly assumed that all Amish women slaved over their stoves all summer to make salsa and other canned goods (which, they do, but I suppose this may be one of the corners they cut). After cooking the mix with the tomatoes for about 10 minutes, we had fresh salsa.

So it began. Last year I canned 88 quarts of green beans, 16 pints of pickled beets, 20 quarts of whole tomatoes, 20 pints of salsa, 8 quarts of tomato juice, 16 pints of spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce and 6 quarts of chili sauce (using the packets), 20 pints of pickle relish, and a host of other items.

Earlier this year, my husband and I planted our garden, but our green beans and beets didn't come up very well. So, I asked my MIL if she had extra, and of course she did. She has been sharing her produce with me for nearly six years and finally this year I was able to return the favor. Her tomato plants are all dying from blight. I planted 28 plants this year and my brother doused the soil with an extra dose of nitrogen at the beginning of the year. Needless to say, they are flourishing. I am excited to help her out with the tomato harvest, but I have a REALLY long way to go before I will every be able to repay her.

No comments:

Post a Comment